[aklug] Re: Backups

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 13:14:44 AKDT

On Wednesday 29 April 2009, Christopher Howard said something like:
> Just thinking about my backups... I currently have a fairly simply
> backup system with rsync copying the data to my backup server as part
> of a nightly cron job.
>
> Do any of you guys do anything more complicated, like diff or
> incremental backups? The downside of my current method is that I can
> only pull backups from the night before (rather than, say, get a
> backup from three days ago). I was pondering some kind of weekly full
> backup + daily incremental backup scheme, but not quite sure how to
> do that.

You can have rsync do hardlinks for unchanged files on the remote side,
but this relies on having a directory structure on the remote side that
has one directory for each day, or having a script on the remote side
which moves directories around. (This could be done by an SSH call
before the rsync).

For GUI, the is a KDE utility called Keep that works well, I think
(never used it).

For more complex, I highly recommend Bacula. I've done four bacula
deployments (from a two computer office to a 20 computer + 10 server
office) and it works well and is dead reliable. It takes some doing to
get set up, but once set up, it is truly "fire and forget." Unless of
course, you need to swap out tapes.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com