[aklug] Re: Ecartis and PGP

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 08:39:30 AKDT

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I noticed that my mail clients (Mutt & Thunderbird) are not able to
> verify most of the PGP sigs sent to the AKLUG. It seems like this is
> because Ecartis converts the attached sig to inline text, and then
> inserts extra text between the sig and the message text ("-- Attached
> file included as plaintext... etc.") So Thunderbird just says
> "Error - No valid armored OpenPGP data block found".
>
> But Kenneth's sig seems to be verifiable, as he includes his inline from
> the start, with "start PGP" and "end PGP" delimiters.
>
> Has the list every discussed this problem? Does the list server need to
> mangle the messages this way? Or do we all need to switch over to real
> inline sigs? (I thought I heard inline sigs were kind of outdated.)

This keeps coming up every few months, and it seems like lots of people
are unhappy that the list either strips non-text attachments, or puts the
text attachments inline. There's lots of history in the list archives if
your curious and want to read more.

One question though--does it really matter? Every PGP aware MUA that I've
seen can handle inline signatures just fine.

My own take on why some people say that inline sigs are outdated is
because those people tend to be the ones that want to put twenty lines of
useless crap in their sig.

Mike