[aklug] Virus protection fake

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 08:59:33 AKDT

My kids were recently doing some research on the web about a State project.

They were using firefox and ran across a website that claimed my
computer had a virus.

Because my children are diligent, they clicked on the thing that says,
'fix this now'.

What this did is try to download software to the local machine.

Lucky for me, they were on a one of our Linux boxes and nothing bad
happened, however, the site was VERY persistent in trying to get us to
download the software.

The screens looked very much like a windows dialog box and if I hadn't
known any better, I'd a thought I had a real problem.

This is becoming more and more sophisticated way to infect machines
with malware and viruses.

All the more reason to switch to Linux in my opinion.

Mike B.