[aklug] Re: Quick and Dirty Websites

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 16:33:14 AKDT

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Shane R. Spencer wrote:

> barsalou wrote:
>> I've been asked recently to provide quick and dirty websites for folks.
>>
>> Although I've forwarded most of these requests to others with more
>> skill, I was wondering if there is anyone out there using a tool that
>> can do that.
>>
>> I know there are plenty of hosters that have online tools, but in this
>> specific case, I'm looking for a tool that I can use on my Linux box
>> that would create a reasonable looking website without too much time in.
>>
>> Anyone know of such a thing?
>>
> More complex sites:
>
> Plone
> Drupal
> Wordpress
>

> Not complex sites:
>
> oswd.org templates
> server side includes
> ftp/scponly access to data
>
> Just my nickle.. you owe me 3 pennies.
>
> Shane
>

> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
> -- File: signature.asc
> -- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature

oswd.org is definitely awesome for templates. Just pick a nice looking
one, cut out the code you don't need, and replace the content with your
own.

That's basically what I did with my church website recently, although I
also integrated the template with a little Perl CGI to make it easier to
maintain the site. http://mcgrathroadbaptistchurch.org

For WYSIWYG, I guess there is KompoZer
(http://www.kompozer.net/screenshots.php) though I don't know if that
would really speed up the process at all.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us