[aklug] Re: Dual monitors

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 22:58:01 AKDT

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help with setting up the
> dual monitors. Everything was fairly easy to set up using nvidia-settings.
> I used separate X screens, with one screen on absolute positioning and
> the other relative. It works great!
>
> I tried Xinerama, but it seemed like I had too many problems with it. For
> some reason I would lose my 3D acceleration (or things slowed down so much
> it seemed like a lost it, not sure if there is a difference). I couldn't
> get window geometries to work correctly either. Maybe Xfce just doesn't
> integrate Xinerama well enough? Or maybe it is all the (what did they call
> it?) dead space? One monitor is max 1024x760 and the other is 1280x1024.
>
> Anyway, 3D games and everything work fine using the separate X screens.

Ah, looking at some of the latest docs it appears that nvidia now supports
the Xinerama extensions directly within TwinView. I don't believe that was
the case in their legacy drivers.

Xfce works fine with Xinerama for a few versions now, so I have to imagine
there was some various xorg.conf tweaking needed. In any event, glad you
got it working.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die