[aklug] Re: Turbo Tax and Linux

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 06:55:26 AKDT

bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote, on 4/9/2009 9:26 PM:
> On Wed, April 8, 2009 7:18 am, Royce Williams wrote:
>>> Anyone solving these windows application problems with other applications?
>> If your taxes aren't very complex, I'm having good luck with this:
>>
>> http://home.mchsi.com/~taxcalculator/
>
> Really? I admit I only glanced at the web page, but isn't this
> just a spreadsheet that "some guy" threw together? If he got
> something wrong in the spreadsheet, would you ever know about it?
> I don't think I'd want to trust my government documents to some
> regular Joe who disclaims all responsibility.
>
> Am I missing something?

He - and I - encourages everyone to double-check the math themselves.
 It's when you discover that you made an error that feeds five other
forms that it pays off.

But no, he doesn't guarantee to pay your penalties like TurboTax does.

And funny - aren't you (and we all?) running our software on operating
systems that disclaim all responsibility? ;-)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/
It's not what you're doing that matters; it's whether or not it works.