[aklug] Re: wine etc

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 14:54:07 AKDT

On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Greg Madden wrote:
> Some recent adventures with wine. John P, I would like to know what a
> tightly bopund windows app is :-)
>
> Wine with Debian stable is v1.01. I used ver 1.18 from winehq for my
> testing after v 1.01 didn't work. The following are energy rating
> programs. Akwarm2 is new, requires MS .net, could not get .net to
> install in wine. Hot200 runs the Akwarm stuff does not. Wine seems
> pretty flaky to me, I mean does it really work ? :-) The best supported
> app seems to be setup.exe, the apps do not work though.
>
> http://www.winehq.org/download
> http://www.ahfc.state.ak.us/reference/akwarm.cfm
> http://analysisnorth.com/AkWarm/AkWarm2download.html
> http://canmetenergy-canmetenergie.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/eng/software_tools/
>hot2000.html

I'll post to my own post :-) I remeber when Corel released wine versions
of Wordperfect office and Corel Draw, ~1999. Corel, at the time, was a
big contrtibutor to wine. Corel put a lot of effort into getting their
apps to work with wine, in the end, imho, the apps were not robust enough
for me to use.

I stil have copies of Corel Office 2000 and a Corel Draw for Linux, I
remember the pain :-) These were made for Corel Linux and ran on Debian
Slink & 1/2, part Potato. AFAIKT, wine works when someone makes it work
with an app, no expecting anything to load and run.

Corel Linux is now Xandros and the Corel wine folks were Transgaming.

--
Peace
Greg Madden