[aklug] Re: XFS (was: Re: Question regarding paritioning and drive space)

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 22:09:01 AKDT

Quoting Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, barsalou wrote:
>> I seem to remember there might be a tool that works with EXT3, however.
>>
>> XFS is a great filesystem, and I use it when I can.
>>
>> Mike B.
>>

> Hmm... I was looking at XFS on wikipedia, and it sounds kind of cool.
> But why do you prefer it?

Mostly because of the journaling feature and I can grow each partition
while it is still mounted.

Using an LVM like Arthur suggested, I can assign the entire volume but
not have to carve it up right away. This allows me the flexibility to
assign more space to home, var, whatever while it is still online.

Good stuff.

Mike B.