[aklug] Re: Question regarding paritioning and drive space

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 21:10:55 AKDT

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> A few weeks ago I was installing Debian i386 with the net-install disk
> (with an Etch disk, I think...) and I attempted to divide up all the drive
> space between four partitions (including one for swap). However, the
> partitioning failed, and kept failing on repeated attempts.
>
> However, then I re-did the partitioning so that there were four or five GB
> of free-space at the end of the drive, and everything went smoothly from
> that point on.
>
> I was planning to write a Debian tutorial for one of my classes. I was
> curious if I needed to tell the end users to leave some free space at the
> end of the drive, and if so, how much they would need to leave.

I have never not been able to use the entire drive since, oh, 1995. I would
have to think that the utility that Debian is using is borked on your
particular hardware. If you can partition directly with fdisk (from
util-linux) or parted you wouldn't have that issue. I'd be surprised if
their installer wouldn't allow you to do that.

BTW, if it's an option I'd highly encourage you to use only two partitions,
one for /boot, and one for an LVM PV. Being able to slice and grow LVs
rather than hard-set partitions makes life immensely more pleasant.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die