[aklug] Re: Automounting to the directory of your choice

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 19:25:23 AKDT

barsalou wrote:
> Quoting Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>:
>
>> Mike, have you considered using UUID instead of /dev/sda1. ? FYI, UUID is
>> a distintive identifier for each drive or maybe file system ? If you use
>> externel usb devices the same device gets mounted the same place each
>> time, no switching of sda to sdb etc.
>>
>> UUID=06e2f9c4-046b-46fa-b49c-7ae18bccc7cf /media/usbdisk xfs user,rw 0 1
>> UUID=4eb66a47-7b39-42c7-97ee-f81ebd173d88 /media/usbkey4gb ext2
>> user,rw 0 1
>> UUID=4559-03C1 /media/usbkey1gb vfat user,rw 0 0
>
> A quick google search showed that I could find the UUID of the device
> by doing:
>
> ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid | grep sda1
>
> This would alleviate worrying about multiple devices being plugged in.
>
> Thanks Greg.

Be forewarned however that it can bite you. I was running a copy of
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server at work, and Novell put out some patches
for the SCSI RAID drivers or some such. Exact details fail me at the
moment, it's been a while. Long story short, the UUID changed, but was
hard coded in fstab, which kind of limited my being able to boot.
Booting to CD and editing fstab appropriately got me back up and
running, along w/some other machinations that the Novell tech support
had me do.

That sword can cut both ways...

...Kevin

--