[aklug] turning off wireless card

From: Ralph Boland <rpboland@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 17:38:01 AKDT

I bought and used a wireless card for a while but gave up and went back
to a wired connection because of problems using the wireless.
I keep the wireless card in my computer as it is the safest place to store it
until I need it again.

My problem is each time I boot my machine it keeps trying to make a wireless
connection even though the wired connection is available.
Each time it tries a pop up asks me for which wireless connection to make and
I have to say cancel. My machine quits after several tries but is a
pain until then.

Can anyone tell me how to turn off (and someday back on again) the wireless
connection without actually removing the wireless card?
Better still would be for my computer to use the wired connection if
it is available
and only attempt to use the wireless if no wired connection available.

Ralph Boland