[aklug] Re: Google shows of their server design

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 12:02:04 AKDT

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> Here's what Google uses for servers.
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10209580-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
>
> --
> Damien Hull
> Linux Ninja
> Open Source Assassin
>
> http://linuxninjas.tv
> http://elite.linuxninjas.tv
> http://www.digital-overload.net

Ha ha ha! I liked the picture of one of the "servers". Must be convenient
having PS/2 connectors on the back of every server.

Also hilarious:

'"Google has patents on the built-in battery design, "but I think we'd be
willing to license them to vendors," Hoelzle said.'

'Mainstream servers with x86 processors were the only option, he added.
"Ten years ago...it was clear the only way to make (search) work as free
product was to run on relatively cheap hardware. You can't run it on a
mainframe. The margins just don't work out," he said.'

I think I'm going to go into the search business. I've got a few 300
Mhz machines lying around. Should be enough to cover interior Alaska.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us