[aklug] Re: Java Question - Jin

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 07:22:54 AKDT

As I mentioned, there are myriad ways to get you up and
running, but my suggestion is that you think about some
more systemic solutions. You are invoking /usr/bin/java
because /usr/bin is in your PATH. YOur PATH may however
already contain another directory for java invocation,
though /usr/bin may precede it, so you may want to double
check your path to see if JAVA_HOME, CLASSPATH and PATH
were set or altered during install of your java and then set
those as you need for typical java usage, perhaps creating
a small script to use to reset them for any alternative java
and then call the app as an argument to the script.....
Christopher Howard wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Marc Grober wrote:
>
>> You need to set your environment to source the correct
>> files.... This can often be a headache.... You have a PATH
>> that provides locations for your OS to look for java, and it
>> is picking the first it is coming across... which
>> apparently is not the one you want....
>> So you can use the full path to the executable in the
>> script, change your PATH, etc (myriad number of ways to
>> point your app at the correct files....
>>

> Thanks everyone. I found out that /usr/bin/java points to
> /etc/alternatives/java, which pointed to the gjc Java. Since Jin is the
> only application I've ever used that couldn't figure out by itself where
> the correct Java version is installed, I just changed the Jin's startup
> script to point to the Sun Java.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature