[aklug] Re: Serial Communication - Hardware Flow Control

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 15:23:58 AKDT

The USFIRST kits have that all addressed so that the kids
don't have to fight it.... doing it on an old PC can be
very easy since documentation is so comprehensive.
I know of some prety impressive projects using some apparent
"kid" toys, so don't give yourself a hard time, though I
would have to agree that boebots make a great starting point
for younger students.... I hustled a few as demos to
maybe move kids to between lego bots and USFIRST, but we
never got much foothold as far as curriculum until we saw
the engineering house at dimond.... what surprises me most
is that as far as I knew stamp basic was the only thing
really available for that processor, and that can be like
trying to teach a hippo to do ballet (well, maybe disney
does that, but with silicon thats something else....)

In any event, while more sophisticated materials make it
easier to avoid some heartburn, it also keeps you from
learning some things.... are you tied to the boebot by
class mandate, or is it just what you have to work with,
as I can probably turn you on to some more sophisticated
materials.....

Christopher Howard wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Marc Grober wrote:
>
>> Which school? I wasn't aware anyone was using Boebots in
>> anchorage.....
>
> Actually, its UAF. I'm embarrassed to mention that because I'm
> embarrassed we are using BoeBots for a professional project. But all the
> equipment was purchased before I came on the job.
>
> I would imagine that people in Anchorage use robot kits that have
> multi-tasking capabilties, and thus don't need to worry about flow
> control...

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature