[aklug] Re: New email client - spicebird

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 12:35:05 AKDT

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> I'm hoping someone else can give this a try and report back. I bounce back and forth between a workstation, two laptops and a black berry. Using a desktop mail client seems pointless. I'm sure someone out there is still using one.
>
> http://www.spicebird.com/

So, is spicebird basically just Thunderbird + the Calendar plugin + an
integrated IM client, right?

It is cool that their are integrating this all very well, but there is
really nothing novel going on here, is there? IMAP/POP3 for the e-mail,
FTP for the calendar, Jabber for the IM?

Are the contacts stored on the client machine, or uploaded to an FTP
account?

I'm asking all of you this because the Spicebird website doesn't seem to
have an "about" or "features" list. Also, I don't do GUI e-mail/chat
clients anymore, so I won't try it out myself.

Side note: You guys that do use Thunderbird: is there anything Outlook
does that Thunderbird can't do? Or is Outlook just more popular because it
is bundled with Windows? I remember back in my Thunderbird days that I
much prefered Thunderbird over Outlook, but my employers seemed to think
that Outlook should be the company standard. (?)

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us