[aklug] BLAaaahh! Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 17:16:22 AKDT

Going the glx route from the repositories hasn't been working out as well
as I hoped. I installed these packages:

linux-image-2.6.26-1-amd64
nvidia-glx 173.14.09-
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-amd64

I ran the module-assistant, and compiled and installed the module (I
think...)

However, when I attempt to start the xserver I get this:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 177.80, but this
NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.09. Please make sure that the
kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

I think that 177.80 was from the old install, but I'm not really sure what
to do about it. I changed the symlink at
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to point to libglx.so.173.14.09
instead of 177.80, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? (Ah... hard to see, the dark side
is...)

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us