[aklug] Re: Distributions, and a couple liesurely questions

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 15:05:29 AKDT

First off, I'll have to agree with Damien: (K)Ubuntu is great.

I have Ubuntu 6.06 and 8.04 installed on various boxes that I admin and
it is a thing of beauty. I just installed 8.04 (Hardy) on a Dell
Inspiron E1705 (aka 9400). It has an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 that is
working with the fglrx drivers. I'll try to answer your questions
below. BTW, the wireless, suspend, and hibernate are all working great
too!
> 2) Questions
>
> a) DRI and ATI
> There seems to be a lot of problems with ATI cards and DRI not
> working properly. Installing the latest driver got rid of my errors
> stating DRI is not supported, however I still was unable to run
> fgl_fglxgears/fgl_glxgears. Anybody have some success information
> with DRI and ATI?

I am able to run fgl_glxgears without issue. 126fps at 1920x1200 (I
know, I know, it's not a benchmark).

> b) Emulation
> Is Wine still the leader in this catagory? I have never had much luck
> with it and would like to know if anyone else has developed something
> better that I haven't heard about.

Wine is getting better and better, and can run quite a few things
without issue. If you want full emulation, go with VMWare or
VirtualBox (free!).

> c) MonoDevelop (C#)
> Has anyone by some slim chance come out with something similar to
> Microsofts XNA Framework? I would love to write some games for Linux,
> and something similar to XNA would be convenient.

Can't answer that. I do know that Python development on Ubuntu is great
because Canonical uses Python for just about everything, so has
packages for hundreds of Python modules.

> d) Games
> Has anyone played Vendetta or Regnum on Linux? I found them on
> LinuxGameTome and would just like to hear if anyone has played them
> and how they were.

Nope...games aren't really my thing. :) Scorch3D and BZFlag are fun,
though. :)

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com