[aklug] Re: ubuntu likes to install bunches of irrelevant packages?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 12:09:33 AKDT

Since 8.04 (I believe) apt has had the APT::Install-Recommends flag set
to true. I do not believe Debian 4/5 behaved this way.. not sure. My
apologies if this isn't the case, maybe it is tasksel or some other apt
related utilities that set it in the environment before calling apt.
Relevant: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/316472

Try your apt-get install with the '-o APT::Install-Recommends=false'
command line option.

Also.. the citadel stuff is a pita. For instance.. it starts with 'c'..
not 'e' like exim does.. So the default MTA for ubuntu and debian has
been citadel due tot he way apt handles it's "Requires:" and
"Provides:/Conflicts:/Replaces:" package options.

--
apt-cache show citadel-mta | grep mail-transport-agent
  Replaces: mail-transport-agent
mail-transport-agent
  Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
apt-cache show mdadm | grep mail-transport-agent
  Recommends: mail-transport-agent, module-init-tools
---
What I have found with recommends is that if you don't install them you
run the risk of dealing with package maintainer QA issues.. For instance
mdadm may complain or die if it can't send a mail to you.  I don't
believe this is the case but if it were the mail-transport-agent package
should be in mdadms Depends: package requirement.  Debian has been
changing the way Depends: Recommends: and Suggests: works and it may
take a few years for all the maintainers to iron out how they handle things.
So those are my two cents.  It's usually a good idea for a
server/workstation to have an MTA of some kind.. I use ssmtp + ssl/tls
since it is light and authenticates to my real mail server (most MTA's
can do this as well, they just aren't as tiny as ssmtp).  I really dig
knowing when /dev/sdb5 just became dead to /dev/md0.. so having the MTA
makes me happy :)  Same with cron jobs (adding MAILTO=blah@blah.com to
/etc/crontab).
Shane

-- File: signature.asc