[aklug] Re: samba authentications

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 13:51:31 AKDT

Lee,
Its been some years since I did that, and the last time I
did it I used a branded version with unix, but it worked
pretty well. Then MS came out with its unix utilities and
the work surrounding that ironed out some of the remaining
authentication issues. Unfortunately, anything I would have
stuck in a corner somewhere would probably be more a
hindrance than a help and would have you running down blind
alleys.

Most recently I used SAMBA with Suse SLES and everything was
  fully integrated. In fact, as I recall there was some
info about integrating LDAP (which is one of the SUSE SLES
defaults for USER authentication) with SAMBA.... and all
the docs were packaged up with it.... you might want to
download a copy of opensuse to install just to work through
the SAMBA docs.....

Lee wrote:
> For file and print services, yes, but as a centralized authentication solution for XP
> clients into linux servers to fulfill that role in place of ADS? Are there some
> pointers somewhere? That'd be cool...
>
>> SAMBA has proven effective in major installations for
>> years.....

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature