[aklug] Re: Installing Ubuntu Jaunty

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 09:22:35 AKDT

You may have to tell update-manager to do a scan and auto-download
packages daily.. I don't know what the defaults are for jaunty.. but
start it up and go into the prefs and check it out.
Since a lot of us probably know this already and maybe others don't,
check out the command below (pure ultimate debian goodness):

From the console you can do a check on new packages as well.

spencersr@undertow:~$ sudo apt-get update
spencersr@undertow:~$ sudo apt-get -d dist-upgrade

This will only download new packages, not install them. Omit -d to
actually do the install. It will ask Y/n if you want to continue with
the download and installation of the packages.. Just type n and move on
if you aren't interested.

update-manager is nice.. but since it isn't a ton of information I end
up getting impatient waiting for it to process a command. Showing
progress on a terminal in update-manager was a nice feature for people
like me :)

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature