[aklug] Re: Making a device "unbusy"? (fwd)

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 16:26:26 AKST

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us
http://theologia.indicium.us
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:25:14 -0900 (AKST)
From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
To: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [aklug] Making a device "unbusy"?
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Michael Figley wrote:

> --- On Wed, 3/4/09, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:
>> Hi. My boss has me working on this robotics project, and I
>> am supposed to
>> get the bluetooth connection working between the robot and
>> the project's
>> MacOS X laptop. (Thank you for resisting the natural urge
>> to delete this
>> e-mail as soon as you read "get the bluetooth
>> connection working".)
>>
>> The bluetooth connection itself is working (I believe), as
>> Mac OS X
>> detects the device, and it shows up as
>> /dev/tty.eb500-A7SerialPort-1. Last
>> week I was able to establish serial communication
>> (sort of) with the device using the screen command:
>>
>> screen -fn /dev/tty.eb500-A7SerialPort-1 9600
>>
>> However, this week when I run that command, screen just
>> tells me that it
>> cannot establish a R/W connection because the device is
>> busy. Even if I
>> reset the laptop, or try as super user, the problem
>> persists. I can't
>> figure out for the life of me what is hogging the device.
>>
>> Is there some way to steal the device back? Or at least
>> figure out what
>> process is hogging it?
>>
>> Side note: Yes, the eb500 devices does come with
>> instructions for setting
>> up a usb connection, but only for Windows XP and (yes...)
>> Windows Pocket
>> PC. (Apparently there are more Pocket PC users out there
>> than
>> Macintosh/Linux users?)
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Howard
>> http://indicium.us
>> http://theologia.indicium.us
>
> man fuser  might help?
>
> mdf

Thanks. I tried fuser but it couldn't give me an PIDs.
I'm think this might have something to do with serial drivers on Mac OSX. Last
week I installed drivers for USB-to-Serial (so that I could communicate with
the robot over USB until we got the Bluetooth working). Now the Bluetooth
device is always busy.
I know correlation does not imply causation, but I'm not sure what else could
be wrong.
--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us