[aklug] Re: Open source templates/CMS testimonies

From: Mike Bishop <mbishop@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 15:34:36 AKST

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:19:57AM -0900, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hi. I'm the webmaster for my church. I need to remake the church website
> because of some bad mistakes I made the first time. Unfortunately, I made
> the first one look pretty nice, so now everyone expects the remake to look
> really nice too (and I don't really have time now for the graphics design
> and all that).
>
> Any suggestions or personal experiences you'd like to share regarding open
> source website templates or open source CMS? I can make a very basic Perl
> CGI framework if needed, but I haven't done much web-design for over a
> year now.

I don't have much time either, but do maintain two web-sites. Both are
wikis, disguised as CMS sites, replacing hand-coded html with a
bunch of home grown scripts/make files.

The engine is PmWiki (http://www.pmwiki.org); the attraction is that
pmwiki does /not/ use a database, preferring flat files. This makes it
trivial for me to make pages locally, using a variety of *nix tools,
then upload (via ftp) to the actual site.

My sites are donbowersmemorialrace.org (http:donbowersmemorialrace.org)
(pure cms, maintained by sitecopy from local version), and
waco-ak.org (http://www.waco-ak.org) a CMS with limited updating by local groups.

The original introduction came from suckless.org (althouth they no longer
use it, having built their own tools).

I can mangle CSS when I have too, but do not (yet) code with PHP, which is
the PmWiki language.

HTH,

--
Mike Bishop