[aklug] Ultimate Boot cd

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 17:04:18 AKST

A friend was having issues with a install last night on his Gobook 3 which
from what it sounded like he was having some hardware issues. I recommended
a memory test. During the install (Xubuntu 8.10) it would lock up. So he
went to Carrs and scored this months Linux Magazine with Ubuntu 8.10 and he
had the same results. After working some other magic we got it installed-but
as soon as he opened up Firefox it froze. Sooo I ran into something similar
a couple years back-when I lost a hard drive, it had similar symptoms weeks
before it finally crashed. It was a 6 year old laptop than.
Anyway short of tearing his box apart I decided to google first to help with
diagnostics when I found this gem: Ultimate Boot
CD<http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html>.
It has tools to check memory, hard drive, mainboard and it's based off
linux. It has freedos and some F-prot as well. I checked out the forums and
that yielded a treasure trove of ideas like integrating with Puppy, Back
Track, and some other distros. It even has a tutorial to integrate ophcrack
(which is handy to have when your helping computer illiterate people amongst
other things.) Another tool to have in the tool box along with Systemrescue,
Gparted, and RIP I think. B

--
ØÖ! ì~
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"