[aklug] Re: X-Com: UFO Defense

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 13:27:27 AKST

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Josh Rhoades wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I have an old copy on CD, but I'm pretty sure it's
> buried beneath clothes, computer parts, and more CDs. To offer an
> alternative, UFO: Alien Invasion is sort of the spiritual remake of
> X-COM (http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Home). Hard as all get out,
> but then again, the original X-COM was approaching impossible.
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:
>> Any of you guys played X-Com: UFO Defense (especially under Linux)?
>> And does anyone know if the DOS version is freeware or no? I wanted to get
>> it and try to play it under Dosbox.
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding it on the net. One site said it was ESA
>> protected, but then other sites said that the dos version was free-ware.
>>
>> There are a few ancient copies on Amazon.com, but they are $40 a piece,
>> and I don't even know for sure yet if I could get it running.
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Howard
>> http://indicium.us
>> ---------

Thanks for the link! I tried UFO:AI, and it works great. Seems to have all
the X-Com:UFO Defense game play elements, minus the bugs. And actually 3D
raster graphics, with perspective rotation, is a nice improvement over the
old isometric tactical play in the early X-Com days.

Aside: UFO:AI seems like a rather impressive game, from a FOSS development
perspective. It has a level of integrated sophistication (graphics, maps,
music, sound, storyline...) Not a lot of FOSS games acheive that kind of
breadth. (Wesnoth is one example of high-level integrated sophistication,
IMHO.) It would require quite a bit of teamwork to put that together, I
would think.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us