[aklug] Re: Windows 7 Beta Program

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 12:52:13 AKST

I don't understand the math leading to the '7' in "Windows 7".

If we roll back to Windows 3.1 and 3.11 "WFW", then would Windows 98
be "4"? Or was that 3.5? There was a lot of Windows between 98 and XP,
but I vaguely remember "4.0" bandied about with NT. So what about
Windows 2000 and Windows Me?

I think XP should have been "Windows 6". So calling this "Windows 7"
says "pretend Vista didn't exist".

In any event, Microsoft has allegedly pulled out the download limits
on their servers through Jan 24th. They won't cut it off at 2.5
million downloads.

I've been using the 32bit version in VirtualBox since Sunday, same
computer has XP Home SP3 in another VM. Side-by-side comparison.
Nothing official, pure "user experience" subjective comparison, but
once you get past the fact that everything has been rearranged from
its familiar locations in XP and the fact that it takes 2x-3x longer
to boot it doesn't look bad. Actually Win7 is zippier navigating
around than XP. My most useful test is "how long does it take me to
get an Excel document open all the way", and starting from "start a
cold VM" its XP for the win. Faster boot time. Starting from "start a
saved VM with Excel already open" its XP, barely. Smallwer disc image
for the VM. Starting from "VM open, no Excel", its Win7 marginally
faster to launch Excel (2003) and a macro-laden spreadsheet.

Windows 7 is much slower to boot, and has a bigger VM image and
heavier RAM footprint so is understandably slower to launch a saved
VM, but once actually on the desktop launching applications like Joe
User would do it is perhaps a little zippier.

Hints on installing Window-7 with VirtualBox:
1. Tell Virtualbox you're installing Vista.
2. When you get around to installing the Vbox Guest Additions, you'll
need to manually select 32bit/64bit and R-click to Preferences to
change compatability to Vista. Otherwise, Sun's code attempts to
authenticate the Windows install you just did and Windows-7 isn't on
the list so it automatically fails. Manually select Vista and you're
good.

Thus far the only reason to run Windows-7 in VirtualBox appears to be
so you can create screenshots and YouTube videos as proof of having
done so.