[aklug] Re: Encryption with cryptsetup and luksformat

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 12:46:51 AKST

Howdy,
 After tooling around with Debian 5.0 and some flavors of buntu's I settled
on Xubuntu 8.10 with a text install as my primary workhorse. The box is a
Dell 1420n dual core laptop. With that-when it came time to repartition it
gave the option of using an encrypted LVM and /, /home, etc was put in
there. The only thing that is outside the encrypted volume is the /boot on
50 mb's of space. I took the liberty of copying that on my thumbdrive in
case of corruption or some other nastiness. The cryptor uses LUKS.
 I even ran Puppy and Mepis livecd to see if I could mount the
partition-what was cool with Mepis, it saw the encrypted partition and a
password dialogue popped up. Puppy-had to be a little more creative, but was
able to access through the terminal and cruising the forums for some expert
advice. I feel sorry for the poor soul that tries to crack this encryption.
:)
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv> wrote:

> I've got an old external USB drive that I hand encrypted with luksformat a
> few years back. It was done before there were any GUI tools. I plugged it
> into my Ubuntu 8.10 workstation today.
>
> 1. Dialog box popped up and asked for a password
> 2. Error message saying cryptsetup was missing
> 3. Added crypt setup
> 4. No luck with the pass phrases I tried - couldn't remember
> 5. Gave the CLI a try
> 6. GOT IT!
>
> The drive now has new data on it. It's sitting inside a safe deposit box at
> the bank. With all the trouble I went through getting access I'm a little
> concerned. Is there a chance luksformat will change and cut off access to my
> encrypted drive?
>
> Thought I would ask now before any changes happen in the future. I don't
> want to find my self unable to access a backup.
>
> --
> Damien Hull
> Linux Ninja
> Open Source Assassin
>
> http://linuxninjas.tv
> http://elite.linuxninjas.tv
> http://www.digital-overload.net

иж!
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Change before you have to"
"If you want to build a ship
don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea."
Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery