[aklug] Re: Makefiles

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 10:29:56 AKST

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I writing this C app. I haven't conquered Automake yet. (And to be honest,
> I'm not really looking forward to it.) A few related questions:
>
> - Is there any reason I really should be using Automake instead of a
> simple Makefile? (Even, say, when my code isn't really meant to be
> cross-platform capatible?) Do I need to just "suck it up" and learn
> Automake?

Automake is only really worth it if you have a lot of optional dependencies
and features that you want to enable/disable at compile time. If you have a
simple program that works in only one way and has only mandatory
dependencies, it's almost never worth it.

> - Does anyone know of any projects that just use Makefiles, which I could
> look at for an example of a properly designed/organized Makefile? (Mine
> seems kind of messy, and I was planning to clean it up.)

A woefully incomplete list: procps, procinfo, pciutils, mdadm, man-pages,
the Linux kernel, librtas, libaio, ksymoops, hdparm, gkermit, ebtables,
dcron, bzip2, busybox, arptables. These are the obvious ones from my core
distribution, there's probably about a million more.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die