[aklug] Re: Standard CD for quick shell environment

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 23:51:25 AKST

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, jonr@destar.net wrote:

> Quoting Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org>:
>
>> Chris (do you mind if I shorten your name?)
>> there are several Linux distros you can use to do this, some will fix
>> on very small thumb drive (Damn Small Linux comes to mind) and there
>> are others that are more designed for recovery and forensics.
>> BackTrack3 is a good example of this kind of distro. The big dog on
>> the market used to be Knoppix but I don't believe it's been maintained
>> for a while.
>>
> Knoppix had a new release last year, 08, so it is still being
> maintained. I used to use the SystemRescueCD,
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page. Does hosing up the sudoers file
> not allow you to boot into single user mode?
>
> Jon

I locked out the root password for better security. I already had given my
account full sudo access to the system, so I didn't imagine I'd have any
problems.

Then I was trying to follow some instructions online for giving a local
user root privileges to a single program with sudo. I apparently messed it
up, because now when I try to go root with sudo, I just get some warning
about a syntax error in the sudoers file.

Moral of the story: Disable your root password /after/ you finish
haphazardly mutilating your sudoers file, not /before/. :D

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us