[aklug] Re: Domain Transfer, a small tale

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 17:06:57 AKST

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, barsalou wrote:

> Once upon a time, there was a domain name that needed to be =20
> transfered. This domain was originally created using ehost.com's =20
> website.
>
> All went well during the creation, they charged me $3.95 per month to =20
> host the website.
>
> Many years passed and many domain names were accumulated. Most of =20
> which were managed at domainmonger.com for $17.00 per year.
>
> One day, it was decided to move the lonely domain from ehost.com to =20
> domainmonger.com. It seemed a simple task. <scary music here>
>
> After going to the domainmonger site to request the transfer, it was =20
> clear by the error messages that ehost.com would have to unlock the =20
> domain. It seemed that going to the site with the secret login codes =20
> would make this an easy job. However, that was not to be.
>
> After digging through the website looking for settings, a live chat =20
> was had with one of ehost.com's nave's. The discussion proved =20
> fruitful after a few inane questions and the domain name was unlocked.
>
> Domainmonger could now transfer the site and all seemed well.
>
> An E-mail arrived from the domainmonger folks and gave further =20
> instructions on how to complete the transfer. Their was much rejoicing.
>
> However, a glitch occurred when following the instructions to complete =20
> the transfer. An authorization code was needed to complete the task.
>
> Trudging back to ehost.com, another live chat was had with yet another =20
> nave. This person then sent the authorization code to the e-mail =20
> address associated with the domain.
>
> With the new weapon in hand, all the actions were completed. Now we =20
> wait for the paperwork to go through.
>
> The End
>
> Things learned:
>
> When transferring a domain, you will most likely have to talk with =20
> both registrars/providers in order to complete the process.
>
> It should be a lot easier than this.
>
> Anyone else have tale's of domain transfer fun?
>
> Hope all are having a happy holiday!
>
> Mike B.

I just got done completing a domain transfer for a small organization. It
was fairly easy (Names are Cheap -> Bluehost). But then, I knew in advance
what I would need (Unlock, Authcode).

It is really only hard, IMHO, when either the losing company or the
winning company are idiots and don't know what they are doing. (Maybe that
was your case...?)

Fundamentally, I think it is good that it takes a little time and
authentication to make the domain transfer. I mean, this is your /domain/
we're talking about. You'd hate to wake up one morning and find out that
mikeb.com had come under the control of Porno Inc., just because
someone made a paperwork mistake or did a little identity theft.

--
Christopher Howard
choward@indicium.us