[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 13:04:49 AKST

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Robert Crowe wrote:

> That says it all for someone coming over to Linux from the world of
> Windows. That's a lot of the reason(s) why I switched. Yes even five years
> ago Linux had some major issues that was a showstopper for the meek, but you
> know what-Window$ wasn't a cherry blossom either. I have two friends and
> fellow firefighters that are trading their HP's loaded with VISTA (*V*iruses,
> *I*nstability, *S*pamware, *T*rojans, *A*dware) for Apples now. Because they
> don't know any better or know of any better alternatives. These supposed
> showstoppers that plagued Linux just aren't there anymore with Amarok 2.0
> (iPod) and the new 2.6.27 kernel in place-hardware support is phenomenol. To
> say that Linux isn't a viable platform to play games is nonsense-Codeweavers
> has the Game edition now that plays some pretty impressive titles natively.
> Probably much better than Vista ever could. I hear "this piece of hardware"
> or "driver" holds me from using Linux. Well I also see Window$ folks
> struggling with the same issues. The only real difference is you pay for a
> End User License with Window$ meaning you don't even own the OS versus Linux
> where possession is tangible.

I don't think anyone is disputing what you're saying. My only point is that
I don't think it's a viable position to expect a Windows users to remain a
Windows users on a Linux system. Anyone who stays a Windows user on Linux
is going to be hosting a root kit within a week. Some
habits/perspectives/practices are bad regardless of the OS.

> The best story I could pass on was when I was up in Fairbanks. I went to
> the local Computer store to get a new power cable. I was standing in line at
> the service counter listening to the fella in front of me descibing his woes
> to the technician. "My computer is getting slower, and I can't even open
> Outlook Express anymore-what can you do to fix it?" The tech didn't miss a
> beat, "Well sir we'll do our best to backup your files-no promises though.
> We'll wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install, than set you up with a
> firewall and antivirus program. The cost will only be $90 plus any other
> fees we gather along the way. Do you have the activation key with the
> install disk?" "Uh-no what's that?" "Oh? Well we can set you up with Windows
> XP Home Edition for $139 than."
> After I witnessed that I'll never understimate the power of denial.
> For those who are interested here's the link to Newbies
> Forum<http://www.newbieslinux.com/forum/>

That reminds of a quip from Allison's blog:

   http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=11141&tag=nl.e539

   However, installation of Kunnafonix was resisted by many of the local
   organizations they had to work with. The local "computer support
   person" resented a solution that was so easy to use that it undermined
   the power and prestige they received by being the person to consult when a
   Windows computer had problems. It's amazing to see the myth that Linux
   is hard to use, install, and support still being propagated in much of the
   media here in the U.S., when in reality it is resented by Windows
   administrators due to its ease of use and lesser requirements for
   professional support.

Sounds like that shop really *loves* Windows, since it's so good for sales.
Of course, Allison's take undermines my position, so let's pretend that I
didn't post it. ;-)

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die