[aklug] Fwd: Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 10:04:42 AKST

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Damien Hull" <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
To: "Lee Ross" <leeross@gci.net>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:02:21 AM GMT -09:00 Alaska
Subject: Re: [aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

I would love to see Linux take over the world. The problem in the "geek" co=
mmunity is that too many of us think everyone should be like us. Being a ge=
ek should not be a requirement to use Linux.

INSTALLING LINUX IS EASY
In the last couple of years the Open Source developers have created Linux d=
istributions that are very easy to install. Ubuntu requires you to boot fro=
m the CD, follow the instructions, point and click with a mouse, done! How =
hard is that. Will there be times when things don't work? Sure! But for the=
 most part Linux is easy to install.=20

WHAT ARE MOST PEOPLE USING A COMPUTER FOR?
1. Checking email
2. Typing in a word processor
3. Surfing the net
4. Listening to music
5. Watching youtube

You can do some of that on the CLI but why would you want to. We aren't goi=
ng to convert anyone by showing them the CLI first. Linux has to provide pe=
ople with useful applications. If one can't get any work done on Linux thei=
r going to go back to Windows.=20

WHAT IS AN "INSTALL FEST"?
I'm no marketing expert but I'm guessing the point of advertising is to sel=
l a product. How can one sell a product if the target audience has no idea =
what the advertisement is about? Ask your non geek friends what an "install=
 fest" is. Let me know what they say.

We could have said something like "Join the Alaska Linux User Group and lea=
rn how to use FREE, stable, secure and productivity enhancing software like=
 OpenOffice"=20

I HOPE THE INSTALL FEST GOES WELL
I hope to see new people learning about Open Source software. I hope to see=
 new people walking away with a useful new tool of some sort. I hope we mak=
e a difference in the Anchorage community. I just don't think we are doing =
a vary good job at the moment.=20

If you want to disagree with me that's fine. If you do, pleas tell the rest=
 of use how you would spread open source around the world. If it works I'll=
 join you. =C2=A0