[aklug] Re: Just a thought....

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 07:10:17 AKST

Quoting "Nathan T. Templeton" <pb280c@gci.net>:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Nothing against Barslow, But I would like to put myself up for
> president of the group. I may not be the most savy, but I'm there, I'm
> willing to help. I''m ready to do what I have to do..
> I want to know if I've proven myself worthy as of yet..
> Honesty is the better part of valor, So I wait to hear from Art and
> others.. Tell me if I'm ready for what I ask, or foolish..
>
> Nathan.

I'm happy to give up this position.

> I have believed for a very longtime that linux is the future. I strive
> to look beyond my MCSE to understand the true hope the opensource
> brings. Let us give a call, anyone else? Throw your hat in the ring,
> it's time for change, we are faultering.. The installfest is faultering,
> indeed, we have coverage in the adn and others.. But is that enough? we
> need more of the younger crowd. We need more coverage. We need to find
> others that will be interested..

This is somewhat confusing to me. From the noise (or lack thereof) on =20
the list, the InstallFest is right on track. If something is =20
faultering, then it would be news to me.

> I would think Feilder could bring in many from his many groups if only
> given the chance.. I think Doug could pull in many of his own.. I know
> Damien is waiting for the chance to do more. Why not have someone
> willing? Wanting to see? And do those things?

This is also confusing to me. Your speaking for other people here, so =20
we are on shaky ground, but if these folks have ideas and the time to =20
execute them, who is stopping them? I'm certainly not.

> I love ya Mike. I do, but you have way to many things going on to make
> things happen in this group. I have the time, I have the want. I want to
> make it happen.. I want to best the MacUsers @ the Museum. I want to
> best the Windows Guy here on base..

This is much appreciated Nathan. If you feel you can get some things =20
done, please step up and do them. Let everyone on the list know your =20
intentions so we can talk about them and lets get some of these ideas =20
going.

Friday Night Linux has been one of the most successful parts of the =20
LUG since Greg took the helm a few years ago. Unfortunately for Greg, =20
folks decided not to participate at the level we are starting to see =20
today.

People like Fielder, Doug, Damien, Jim Gribbon and Stan Long have my =20
gratitude for their commitment and effort they put out every week. =20
I'm sure there are others.

> I want this lug too be the best it can be, I've shown up for way to
> long to a core group that has a lot to give, and no one to ask.

So do I, otherwise I wouldn't be doing what I have been doing.

> That's it.. That's my take..
>
> Let me know if I'm wrong, Let me know if I'm right.. Either way, change
> has to come to the LUG and I'm willing to take up that change. .

It is good to here you wanting change here. I agree there should be. =20
One change that we could decide to make right now is to communicate =20
more on the list, the ideas, enthusiasm and effort that is going on.

There are several hundred people on our list, most of which do not =20
make it to the meetings. Even though folks don't always show up =20
Friday Night Linux, doesn't mean their passion is any less.

So if folks feel I'm holding them back from participating and getting =20
things done, then I'll step back and get out of the way.

Although I feel somewhat hijacked by this message, I know that =20
Nathan's intentions were not that.

Let's discuss this in the open so everyone can participate.

Mike B.