[aklug] Re: ubuntu and linux mint?

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 18:36:11 AKST

Mint is a lot more than just a green/black theme on Ubuntu, but as an
Ubuntu-derived distro with Gnome as the stock WM it certainly looks
that way. The difference is really in the details. There is a lot to
Mint of what I would call "fit and polish" details. MintMenu,
MintUpdate, MintWifi, MintInstall just to name a few.

No amount of fiddling has ever made Suspend/Resume on this laptop work
under Ubuntu, regardless of WM. Mint? Just works. Mint rolls your
restricted codices into the base install, so no "unlock medibuntu,
install this, install that" to get basic stuff like flash, video, and
mp3 to work.

I love MintUpdate, and it has seen some serious revision since that
wiki entry. I love the safety level rating for package updates. Do you
really need every update that rolls out, as soon as it is available?
Often not.

MintMenu is forked from TastyMenu. You're not stuck with it.

MintInstall is a nifty way to install packages from a wide variety of sources.

There is nothing earthshattering in Mint. Mint forked from Ubuntu
Dapper Drake and has been kept updated to be concurrent with every
Ubuntu release since. Mint KDE CE was reforked from Ubunry Hardy
Heron, and it is my understanding that the whole project is being
reforked from Ubuntu all over again to handle 64bit support.