[aklug] Re: ubuntu and linux mint?

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 18:04:48 AKST

I used it Mint 4.0 KDE for 6 months-definitely what sets apart from Ubuntu
besides all the included codecs and plugins is Mint Update. The best
description from wikipedia:
*MintUpdate*: Update-software designed specifically for Linux Mint.
> MintUpdate assigns updates a safety-level (from 1 to 5), based on the
> stability and necessity of the update. Updates can be set to notify users
> (as is normal), be listed but not notify, or be hidden by default. In
> addition to including updates specifically for the Mint distribution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution>,
> the development team tests all package-wide updates. This system is designed
> to prevent inexperienced users from installing updates that are unnecessary
> or require a certain level of knowledge to configure properly. MintUpdate is
> currently in beta 1.5 and will be included in the next Mint release. If
> mintInstall is used to install a program from the default repositories, that
> program is able to receive updates via mintUpdate

I looked at what was included in Levels 4 and 5-stuff like kernel upgrades
etc. Seemed to work smooth-nary a hiccup. Used Mepis 7.0 for almost a year,
even for my work with Forestry (using gpsman to pull down shp files and
deliver to the GIS guys on the fire-what a novelty!) and nowadays subsisting
on Ubuntu Studio 8.10. My take? If your going to spend time to download a
iso and install it, it's best to use something that works right out of the
box.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Lee <lee@afabco.org> wrote:

> Someone mentioned Linux Mint and how it has mostly become their distro of
> choice.
> After googling, it does appear to be very popular. But, with apologies, it
> looks like
> it's ubuntu with a different topset of packages. Is there more to it than
> that?
>
> thx

"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"If you want to build a ship
don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea."
Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery