[aklug] Re: SPUG: Bye bye XP PC!!! Hello Leopard Mac???

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 16:49:40 AKST

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Jim Ludwig wrote:

> Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>>> My laptop PC's motherboard is fatally injured.
>>> It's time to exercise Washington's newly passed
>>> right-to-die initiative.
>>>
>>> A lot's changed in the 6-8 years since I last
>>> made this decision. I'd like to consider a Mac
>>> this time around.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in anyone's Perl-centric (and
>>> business-owner-centric) pro/con list for both
>>> sides.
>
> I guess I'll weigh in here...
>
> I've been developing in a *nix environment ever
> since I've been developing, BASIC back in middle
> school notwithstanding.
>
> On my home machines I have Debian installs, with
> an XP boot on one of them for (very very
> occasional) games.
>
> I hear Ubuntu works well for lots of folks -- I
> gave it a try once, but I still preferred Debian
> "unstable" -- but I've noticed a fairly, um,
> noticeable trend the past few years, and that is
> that many Linux folks are "defecting" to the Mac
> world, people whom I thought would be running
> Linux to the death.
>
> And that includes myself. I was given a Mac
> laptop at work 2 weeks ago -- a year-old Macbook
> Pro -- and, barring mail, I've already
> transitioned all my day-to-day activities to it,
> and very quickly. Macs are easy. Once I move
> mail to it, I may have no more need for my Linux
> desktop at work.
>
> I'll regurgitate the standard hooplah, because it
> applies: It seems to be the perfect blend of
> elegant UI and nerdy command-line, where I still
> find myself spending a fair amount of time. I
> especially like Quicksilver, which makes launching
> apps a cinch. The trickiest part about the Mac
> transition seems to be training my hands about the
> Apple command key.
>
> Were I myself to be purchasing a laptop 2 months
> ago, it'd've been with Debian in mind. Today, I'd
> be getting a Mac. I really really like Debian. I
> just happen, it turns out, to like the Mac more.
>
> YMMV,
> jim
> MEETINGS: 3rd Tuesdays
> WEB PAGE: http://seattleperl.org/

Debian rules.

My boss forces me to use a Mac at work. But I'll never go over to Mac
willingly. I've got Debian running on six of my own computers,
including desktops, gaming machines, servers, and routers, from 133Mhz to
3 Ghz. Debian Linux equals true freedom and customizability, which you'll
never get in the Mac world.

Take that Apple.

--
Christopher Howard