[aklug] Re: [aklug]Re: hard drive prefeerence

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 12:51:57 AKST

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:47:10 -0900
Ryan <carbonfreeze@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to like Seagate due to the 5yr warantee, but I recently had to
> RMA a few and their customer service sucks. It took about a month to
> get new drives back.

I used to be a Seagate fan as well, but in the past few years I have had
several of their drives fail with less than 1 month operating time on
them. RMA round trip is poor, and the last time I sent one back the
online forms expected you to be running Windows and the drive to be
visible to the system to pull information. I just picked up a pair of
Western Digital 500G SATA drives that are nearly dead quiet (like
HTPC quiet) and cool to the touch when running - nice specs on paper
too. I'll let you know what I think of them in a few years ;)

Tom