[aklug] Re: [aklug]Re: hard drive prefeerence

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 10:23:09 AKST

My laptop has one each of Seagate Momentus 5400.2 and a Fujitsu MHV
series.

The Seagate has been rolling along just fine.

The Fujitsu doesn't seem to play nice with smartd. Smartd logs temp
information for the Seagate, but it doesn't for the Fujitsu no matter
what I do to cajole it with config files. However when I query the
Fujitsu with smartctl, the information is right there.

Every couple of months the Fujitsu decides it likes to "click" every 30
seconds or so. Each click increments the multi-zone error rate by two.

I bought another Seagate to transition the Fujitsu out. :)