[aklug] Re: InstallFest advertising text suggestions

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 18:14:20 AKST

Do you think people in Anchorage know what open source software is? Just checking. If we say "open source" and people think "what's that?" we have a problem.

How about some of the following.

1. Free Software....
2. Virus free operating system
3. Secure, stable and virus free system

A combination of the above might work. Not sure. I just think we should stick to the things people know. They know Viruses are bad. They know what Free means. Secure and stable is also a given. You might even be able to say something about Vista.

EXAMPLE
Having trouble with Vista. How about a secure stable and virus free operating system? Surf the net, check email, edit photos, chat with friends and more. Did I mention it's virus free?

APPLICATIONS
Installing Linux is not that difficult. Once its installed you need to make it do something. We should be able to show people how to get online, type something in open office and edit a photo. If users can install Linux but can't edit a photo, their going back to Windows. We don't want that to happen.

NOTE
While at an IT Expo I ended up on T.V. I must have said something about "virus free computers". A couple of people showed up and asked about the virus free systems. They were your average home user tired of Windows trouble. I wasn't ready for home users. Something to think about.