[aklug] Re: Projectors and Secure Wifi

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 10:45:48 AKST

Laptop is a Gateway, can't remember the model designation. Uses a ATI Radeon
Xpress 200 integrated card, with support for VGA-out and Svideo-out.
With 8.04.1 the only way I could get dual monitor support was with the ATI
drivers. The fglrx driver wouldn't cut the mustard for this. No video to the
second monitor. With the ATI driver, installed through Envy, I got ATI's
Catalyst manager and was able to manage dual monitors on the fly without
rebooting. It wasn't quite plug-and-play but it was close.

My problems have all been with Ubuntu or Ubuntu-derived distros. I haven't
plugged a projector to the laptop since I've installed 8.10 but need to test
this out before being embarassed this weekend when my laptop fails to
function for a presentation.

So based on your experience, what should I expect using U-8.10 and a second
monitor (projector) on the laptop:
1. plug it in, turn it on, and it "just works"
2. plug it in, turn it on, REBOOT THE SYSTEM, and it "just works"
3. something else in between, perhaps including an edit of xorg.conf