[aklug] Re: Projectors and Secure Wifi

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 12:11:27 AKST

I'd been using WPA2 at home for a while, but it has been hit-and-miss. WPA
works fine for me, although the wireless card in my laptop is suboptimal. My
computers run Ubuntu (Intrepid) and Mint (Elyssa).
As for connecting an external projector, I haven't done this (yet) with
Ubuntu (Intrepid) yet but will need to do so this weekend. With previous
distros, Ubuntu and Mint alike, I've always needed to use Envy to get ATI's
own video drivers running. Only through Catalyst have I been able to get an
external screen to work.

I'll test my laptop running Ubuntu 8.10 with an external LCD when I get home
tonight and report. Either I'll need to run Envy, or it works right without
it. Won't know without trying. I do know that all of my old hassles with
Compiz are fixed with 8.10 so despite my great preference for Mint over
stock Ubuntu I'll be sticking with 8.10 until Mint rolls out their next
version next month.