[aklug] More LAMP, WordPress and Laconica info

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 12:15:53 AKDT

Here's more information on Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL. I'm also including instructions on installing WordPress. There are instructions for installing Laconica but it's still a bit tricky.

NOTE
I'm not an expert in Apache, php or MySQL. I'm not a programmer either. Anyone on the list should be able to install LAMP and WordPress.

LAMP
Stick with the php5 instructions.

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server

WORDPRESS
A default LAMP install doesn't include everything you need for WordPress. However, the web based installer will check your system for required software. If anything is missing it will tell you. If permissions are set wrong it will tell you. You will have to figure out what package your distribution uses for the missing software.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

LACONICA
The install is a bit tricky but if you can install it we can shout at each other.

Main Website - http://laconi.ca/trac/
Applications for posting messages - http://laconi.ca/trac/wiki/Apps

For those that are super geeky you can post messages from vi and emacs. My Laconica server is currently posting uptime from the CLI. http://linuxninjas.tv/linuxninjas