[aklug] Re: Install Fest

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 07:28:34 AKDT

--- On Sat, 10/11/08, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Used to be that there were tons of differences...now...not
> so much.
>
> However, it is still a great way for new folks to learn how
> to use
> this new operating system.

Even knowing how to perform superficial tasks, like how to change one's screensaver, can affect the user's initial opinions. The first Linux distro I successfully installed ("successfully" being the key word) was Mandrake 6.0; within two days I got tired of not knowing how to do anything, so I reinstalled Windows.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but the main reason that I use Linux today is because I made a deal with myself to stick with it for 30 days. Rather than uninstall at the first hint of trouble, I'd do my own research and solve my own problems. Within 30 days, I was answering other newbies' questions.

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com