[aklug] Re: Another question about Debian repos

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 10:14:55 AKDT

On Friday 10 October 2008, Christopher Howard wrote:
> First I wanted to say thanks everyone for all the help on various
> issues. I'd like to specifically mention the advice on the Nvidia
> drivers. I tried the lastest binary and it installed without a
> problem. Also, thanks for the info on streaming servers, and those
> Icecast config files. I'm in the process of looking all that over,
> although I've temporarily met my needs with a cheap hack: I put my
> music files on a directory of one of my public servers, and then used
> simple scripts on my other machines that mount the directory as sshfs,
> so I can listen to the music from anywhere using any music player.
> (Overhead is a bit high -- with all that encryption/decryption going
> on. Probably should've used FTP.)
> I've been researching more into Debian's release cycle, to better
> acquaint myself with the distro. I like how they do things, with all
> the checks and testing. That stability and security is important to me
> (coming from some other distros whose repositories tended to be filled
> with a lot of buggy packages) even if the release cycle is a bit slow.
>
> I'm using the Lenny sources right now, and after Lenny is officially
> released I'll probably stick with Lenny until the next stable release.
> But here's my question: What if in the future there are one or two
> packages from testing or sid that I'd like to try, but I don't want the
> rest of my system relying on those branches? For example, say I wanted
> the lastest Amarok features, or I really needed one package that just
> wasn't available in stable. Do I need to download and manually install
> those packages from off of the Internet, or is there a way I can
> install those from the official repos without moving my entire system
> out of stable?

You can use 'apt -pinning', I think that is how it is referenced. Read the
following link , esp starting at section 3.8 on how it works. Or you can
use a source entry in sources.list and build the package. If you are
lucky it won't require any major changes to your system. Use the Debian
tools do do all this, no need, and imho, not advisable, to dl source and
compile from the cli.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

--
Peace