[aklug] Another question about Debian repos

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Oct 10 2008 - 00:04:54 AKDT

First I wanted to say thanks everyone for all the help on various
issues. I'd like to specifically mention the advice on the Nvidia
drivers. I tried the lastest binary and it installed without a
problem. Also, thanks for the info on streaming servers, and those
Icecast config files. I'm in the process of looking all that over,
although I've temporarily met my needs with a cheap hack: I put my music
files on a directory of one of my public servers, and then used simple
scripts on my other machines that mount the directory as sshfs, so I can
listen to the music from anywhere using any music player. (Overhead is
a bit high -- with all that encryption/decryption going on. Probably
should've used FTP.)
I've been researching more into Debian's release cycle, to better
acquaint myself with the distro. I like how they do things, with all
the checks and testing. That stability and security is important to me
(coming from some other distros whose repositories tended to be filled
with a lot of buggy packages) even if the release cycle is a bit slow.

I'm using the Lenny sources right now, and after Lenny is officially
released I'll probably stick with Lenny until the next stable release.
But here's my question: What if in the future there are one or two
packages from testing or sid that I'd like to try, but I don't want the
rest of my system relying on those branches? For example, say I wanted
the lastest Amarok features, or I really needed one package that just
wasn't available in stable. Do I need to download and manually install
those packages from off of the Internet, or is there a way I can install
those from the official repos without moving my entire system out of stable?

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf