[aklug] Re: Icecast server configuration

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 12:30:05 AKDT

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:08:40 -0800
Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

> Is anyone on this list currently running an Icecast2 server? I'm
> trying to set up a server to stream out all my CC music, mainly for
> my own use. It been a real pain trying to figure out everything --
> like how the config files should look, where everything should be
> placed, what permissions should be set, etc -- even with online docs.
> I was hoping someone might be able to give me details about their
> current configuration, share config files, and that sort of thing.
>
> I'm also open to suggestions for alternate software, though other
> people seemed to say good things about Icecast. I played around with
> VLC a bit, but I couldn't seem to get ogg music to stream.

I've been streaming live audio for a couple years using darkice for the
encoding and the Shoutcast server for streaming. It's been reliable and
easy to set up. I'm also using streamripper to archive the streams to
disk in case anything intersting happens.

Anchorage ATC from PANC (Ted Stevens Intl.)
http://brown.netexpress.com:8000/

Anchorage APD and AFD
http://brown.netexpress.com:8002/

Since I'm using the Shoutcast server, you can also locate either stream
by searching for "Anchorage" or "Alaska" at http://www.shoutcast.com/
Of course you also have the option of keeping the streams private.

Tom