[aklug] ncurses programming question

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 16:28:37 AKDT

Hi. Have any of you done any ncurses programming with C or C++?

I was trying to learn the ncurses interface, as sort of a stepping stone
to real GUIs like QT. (Actually, I started with QT and then realized I
needed to take a step back. :) )

The main thing I've been focusing on is ncurses Forms. For that I've
been following this old tutorial:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/forms.html.

The tutorial is great, overall. I've learned to do a lot of stuff with
the these forms. However, I seem to be missing one important thing.
How do I pull the data from the form's data buffer? (That is, so I can
do useful things with the data.)

I suppose I could try to put the data into some kind of parallel array
as I'm sticking it into the form, but that seems to defeat the purpose
of having a form. (And it also seems rather difficult, if I happen to
allow the user to jump between various forms and between lines within
forms.)