[aklug] Re: ACS news server down.

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 20:56:21 AKDT

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> I've had a ticket in with ACS due to getting this message from their
> news server:
>
> When trying to download messages from your newsgroup server, I am
> getting this message:
>
> 411 Key Key N0 email=trial@netwinsite.com, Temporary license EXPIRED Fri
> Sep 12 01:00:00 2008
>
> Today I got an update:
>
> Hello, I as you know our mail servers are currently down I do apologize
> for the inconvenience this is causing for you. Unfortunately I do not
> have an eta as to when the service will be back up or any new
> information to provide at this time. Our engineering team is currently
> working on the issue.
>
> So, I've given up on the tech support. :)
>
> Anyone know when ACS's news server is going to be back up?
>
> The reference number for the support request is 080915-000024 if someone
> at ACS wants to look it up.

I called them Friday but they didn't open a trouble ticket when I did.
I got the impression that the guy I spoke to wasn't quite sure what a
newsgroup was. He spoke to the guy next to him who basically said the
same as above. Their news has been wonky for a month or so now, For a
couple weeks I noticed a lot of replies to messages that I never saw.
They poof, they went away completely.

I'm wondering if this is a trial balloon to see how much hue & cry is
raised if they go away, like the big ISPs did. Sure seems strange that
an entire service disappeared, and nobody there seems to give it a
second thought. At the least I'd have expected a courtesy email to
their customers.

IMHO, instead of blaming the engineers, they should just pay the license
bill to their upstream news provider. Course, I could be wrong here,
but it just smells more like a management issue than an engineering one
to me...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller