[aklug] Re: Computer Science courses of interest

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 17:48:17 AKDT

> Most of the courses seemed to be nothing more than a list of =
textbooks. =20
=20
Really? Which courses have you been looking at? I've browsed through =
their math and physics offerings before and found them pretty full of =
good content. =20
=20
The OpenCourseWare model is doing something very interesting to the =
field of education, by the way. What it's creating in some minds is the =
belief that the knowledge part of what you get out of education is =
free...or worthless, depending on how you look at it. What's expensive, =
at MIT and elsewhere, is the actual credential. Doesn't matter how much =
you know getting out of college; what's important is that you get a =
degree, in other words. Whether that separation of content and outcome =
was always there is a matter up to debate; it's the fact that the split =
is now explicit that is scary to people in the education field.
=20
Stephen