[aklug] Re: Computer Science courses of interest

From: Aaron A. <akbeancounter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 14:57:44 AKDT

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Ryan <carbonfreeze@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm

I like OpenCourseWare, at least in theory. I haven't actually tried any of their courses, though, because I feel like I'm overlooking something. Most of the courses seemed to be nothing more than a list of textbooks. No lecture notes, no recordings, nothing interactive, just a list of "here's what our students read, maybe you should try that." I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm just not looking in the right place.

If you have access to the iTunes Store, the iTunes U section offers recorded lectures (audio or video) from several dozen schools on a variety of subjects.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/05/30itunesu.html *
My personal favorites are:
* Calculus II by Prof. Rios, New Jersey Institute of Technology
   It's been a while, so I'm brushing up before I start grad school.

* Business Leaders & Entrepreneurs by the Stanford School of Business
   Guest lectures by entrepreneurs, CEO's, and venture capitalists.

* Intro to Information Science by Prof. Duguid at UC Berkeley
   Seems to be a freshman-level class taken by IS majors and
   future librarians, which I actually makes sense now that
   I think about it.)

If I can find the time this weekend, I'll try transferring a few recordings from my Vista machine to my Ubuntu and Fedora machines, see if they play.

* This is an Apple press release, so be prepared for lots of "revolutionized" and "reinvented".

--
Aaron A.
akbeancounter@yahoo.com