[aklug] Re: Dynamic DNS -- not exactly what I was thinking

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 09:36:01 AKDT

Royce Williams wrote:
> Richard Moore wrote, on 9/11/2008 5:32 AM:
>
>> It would help if we knew exactly what you were trying to accomplish.
>> Richard

> Christopher responded to me off-list; he's settled on port forwarding
> for now, and will pursue VPN later.
>
> Royce

Oops, I thought that last e-mail went to the list, not just to Royce.

My exact goals are a bit nebulous, as I'm constantly exploring new
thing I can do. My broad goal, though, has been to "mobilize" myself,
providing myself with global access to my local resources, so that I
could do things like working on my programming, research, studies, and
such like without needing to be at one location, and without having to
sync a bunch of thumb drives and laptops.

Ddns and port forwarding has helped me so far by providing me with
global HTTP access to a small web server on my LAN, which I use to test
Perl/CGI scripts before I put them on the web. It has also given me SSH
access to that web server, and to another important computer on my LAN.

At this point, it is not really my goal to provide any services to the
general public via computers on my LAN. I have a web hosting package at
Bluehost that allows me to run a webserver and mail server on the Internet.

Tunneling/VPN sounds good because (I imagine) it would give me a more
natural, unrestricted access to my network (rather than, say, trying to
remember some odd ports I chose), and I could use encryption to make
less secure activities more secure. But to be honest I've never used
tunneling or VPN, and I don't really know what I'm talking about.

A side note: I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I do actually
keep something of a blog. It is located at
http://www.indicium.us/cgi-bin/blog/index.cgi. It is simple but does
have an RSS feed. The main purpose of the blog is to serve as a journal
for my adventures trying to program my website, http://www.indicium.us,
as part of an independent project for UAF. So most of the blog is
devoted to discussing Perl/CGI, but I do frequently digress into
discussing my Linux and networking activities.